14/08/2013

"You think I'm an incompetent old fool do you?"

On November 23rd, one of television's greatest achievements and an all time personal favourite of mine, the incomparable and simply wonderful Doctor Who will turn 50 years old. The earliest memory I have of this iconic show is from the age of roughly 6, half-watching and half-constantly questioning my mum about a marathon that was being aired through the night, presumably on a BBC channel as part of a celebration of the programme. My most prominent recollection is simply the feeling of being really really really creeped out. Just extremely uneasy about the whole thing. I think even then, I understood the staggeringly common tendency viewers of all ages will admit to of 'hiding behind the settee'. I was also pretty mesmerised by Tom Baker's scarf but I'm sure that's perfectly understandable.
But anyway back on topic, to mark this milestone for such a brilliant show that has recently managed to break into global recognition and thus stolen the hearts and imaginations of so many, I'm watching it all. Yes. All of it. From the very start. Every episode, the 25th anniversary special I have on DVD, the movies.. I'm enduring the tediously slow plots, the horrific monochromatic quality, and Susan. (Ugh, Susan. But more on that later.)


One can argue that I won't be able to watch all the seasons in entirety considering there are still episodes lost and unfound to the world, but I'm doing as much as humanly possible, alright? And there are animated versions of certain missing serials available, so shush.
I do expect this endeavour to take a long time, and in no way do I expect to have completed 26 years of alien adventures in the short amount of Summer I have left. I'm fitting in the occasional episode between my tottering stack of books waiting to be read and the hundreds of gb worth of films and television waiting to be watched (made my way through Orange Is The New Black - it's like an odd mashup of Bad Girls and Desperate Housewives but so much BETTER, watch it, watch it now), so I do hope to have made some headway in time for the 50th anniversary. It's just something I've always wanted to do, and I don't feel I can class myself as a true fan until I'm completely caught up. I'm also hoping it might open my eyes to some Easter Eggs hidden in newer episodes relating to the 'classic' series, many of which are often pointed out by my eagle eyed -and original giver of Whovian genes- mumma bear. (See: John Simm's Master offering Jelly Babies)


I'm currently nearing the end of the first series, and I have to say, William Hartnell is incredible. To those implying that our new Doc Capaldi is 'too old' to fill the shoes of the recent regenerations and keep the show interesting, you're ridiculous. I can vouch for the older dudes, Hartnell has been nothing but entertaining, the nonchalantly delivered line "yes, I made some cocoa and got engaged" may need some context to understand and find amusing, but it's a personal highlight so far. His general indifference and sharp wit is what attracted the attention of viewers in the first place, I'm sure this era can cope with a loss of frantic running around and cute quirky mannerisms that appeal to the casual watcher. Mostly of the female variety and age of teen. Not that I'm huge on the stereotyping but seriously, have you ever visited Tumblr?


Peter Capaldi, regardless of my hesistance to accept him into both of my Time Lord hearts as our new man considering he was already a pretty prominent character in a previous episode(!!!!!!!!!), will be a spectacular guy to transition into. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that accent to remain though, Tennant already let us down!

But back to season one, it really is a delight. Difficult at times to really keep up, and the characters aren't the easiest to sympathise with, honestly even if you thought Martha Jones was bad, the Doctor's granddaughter is the most irritating individual I've ever had the displeasure of watching on the show. ("OH GRANDFATHER I CAHHHN'T! IAN! BARBARAHHH!" ..I'm cruel. And I'm not even sorry.) Ian and Barbara aren't exactly a bundle of laughs either, and their departure won't be a great loss to me, however I am eagerly looking forward to seeing how they adjust back to their roles as school teachers, and if Susan will return to said school as their pupil. I also totally ship them together. There, I said it. I doubt a secured romantic entanglement will evolve, but it's a possible angle that has certainly heightened my enjoyment so far.


Safe to say this journey through time (yeah I did) has pleasantly surprised me, and I'm pleased that despite the hilarious costumes and excruciatingly bad acting I'm not even remotely tempted to quit. It's certainly been an eye opener, and solid proof that Doctor Who isn't a show that needs extensive amounts of CGI shoved in your face or dramatic love triangles. It's simply a show with a lot of history, a lot of heart, and a unique ability to appeal to generation upon generation of families over these many years.

That being said, I think I will breathe a sigh of relief when I reach episodes in colour and of a slightly better quality. I'm also so very excited to finally meet my parent's 'Doctors' (everyone has their firm preference of course), but I do worry that the introduction of Sarah-Jane Smith will make me sob violently into my fish fingers and custard. RIP Elizabeth Sladen.

And so this post doesn't end on such a gloomy note.. This will make better sense to me soon. Ah, Rose. I for one, miss you dearly.



No comments:

Post a Comment