04/02/2012

Patriotism? I'll drink to that.


So I'm sure you're all familiar with this image, and the ever-expanding meme derived from it. I'm willing to bet that you've also seen and possibly even created your own variation of a "Keep Calm and ..(insert witty alternative here)" phrase, whether it be referencing a fandom or just a random thought. I will admit that these were somewhat humourous and entertaining at first. Around a year ago? And even despite the dreary repetitiveness of these now unfunny phrases, the thing that has always irked me most about them is the sheer ignorance of the original idea.


I think it was about three years ago when I first saw Rupert Grint wearing this T-shirt at the Paris premiere of Order of the Phoenix. The logo didn't strike me as intriguing until I started seeing it popping up in the most obscure of places, insurance adverts and such, and I began to wonder about the significance of the words. I quickly let curiosity get the better of me and turned to Sir Google for a bit of hasty research, where I eventually found this website and learned about the phrase's history.


To sum up.. as part of a few propaganda campaigns during the Second World War, this poster was created. Designed to encourage British folk to maintain a stiff upper lip during the hard times, it was intended to be displayed amongst two others, but due to Germany never invading it was never deemed as necessary to display and so was discontinued. It was not until over half a decade later that a few remaining posters were discovered, and so against all odds eventually gained popularity. Since learning of the surprising history, I now own a T-shirt bearing the slogan, as well as a few posters, quotation books, a mug, and a cushion.. I suspect my mum grabbed hold of any item of this nature she could find and saw the advantage of them being great birthday/Christmas gifts that would no doubt be appreciated! Which they certainly are.
Hopefully if you weren't aware of the back-story behind this statement before now you'll find yourself treating it with an ounce more respect, and not overusing it in what are now frankly embarrassing paint shop edits.

Although, that being said, I'm also a filthy hypocrite.


I found this beautiful thing in a now-closed store at my local 'mall' (Americanisms.. everywhere.. but that's technically what they're called..) shopping centre and I could not resist. I've always wanted a hipflask and at the reduced price of £10, who could possibly pass it up?

Go ahead, judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment